Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters has imposed a curfew on Maiduguri, the Borno state capital, following the ongoing operation around Maiduguri and Monguno as exchange of fire between the Nigerian military and Boko Haram terrorists continue.
The insurgents had since Saturday night sustained attack on the two cities in a bid to seize them. Nigerian troops are trying to repel them.
The defence headquarters tweeted via its handle @DefenceInfoNG, “Troops are repelling a simultaneous attack on Monguno and Maiduguri by terrorists.
“Curfew is imposed on #MAIDUGURI with immediate effect till further notice as pursuit of retreating terrorists begin.”
It added, “Coordinated Air and Land OPs being conducted now.”
Earlier, Soldiers of the Nigerian army and Boko Haram terrorists were currently engaged in a fierce exchange of fire since Saturday night as insurgents, in their hundreds, attempt to invade Maiduguri, the Borno state capital.
This is happening as reports filtered into Maiduguri that the nearby town of Monguno had been seized by the Boko Haram terrorist. That could not be independently confirmed as at the time of publishing this.
A security source said, “We had a sleepless night till this morning because this elements tried to enter Maiduguri from Dalwa and Limanti axis but our soldiers were able to repell them. They retreated and took another flank around Njimtilo this morning and our troops hav been engaging them there too.”
Njimtilo is about 20 kilometres away from Maiduguri, the state capital.
As at the time of filing this report more troops, together with operatives of the Civilian-JTF, were seen moving towards Njimtilo.
Residents of Maiduguri 1000 Unit Housing Estate, not very far away from Njimtilo, are fleeing their houses and moving toward the downtown.
Witnesses said bullets were flying and empty shells were seen littering the roads as soldiers of the Nigerian Air Force Base and 33 Artillery brigade continued to shoot into the air.
Fighter jet of the Nigeria airforce was heard hovering over the town at about 9am.
Details of the ongoing attack is still sketchy as sources in Monguno and Njimtilo said the fight is still on.[Premium Times]