Thursday , 24 June 2021
Breaking News

Bomb blast rocks Bauchi

A bomb blast in Azare, Bauchi State on Wednesday left five persons dead with 12 others seriously wounded. Azare, which is about four-hour drive from Bauchi,  is the commercial nerve centre of the state capital.According to eyewitness account, a man suspected to be an insurgent, left a bag at the park in the night, which exploded shortly after he left the scene.

Already, the police have confirmed five people dead, adding that 12 others sustained injuries in the bomb explosion.

According to checks, the blast shattered the relative peace enjoyed in the state for some months now.

Recall that Boko Haram had a bloody clash with security forces in Bauchi, the state capital on July 29, 2014.

So far, the state has witnessed several  bomb explosions in places of worship, police stations as the main targets.

Also, gunmen secretly camped at Balmo forest stretching through parts of Darazo and Bauchi north for some time until recently when military jet fighters raided the area and made the shocking discovery.

After the raid, the state experienced uneasy calm until yesterday, when a bomb blast rocked the motor park.

It was gathered that the incident occurred at about 9.55 p.m. in the busy area of Azare.

But an eyewitness told Daily Sun that more than 12 people died in the blast while over 20 persons were injured.

“A man came to the park, dropped a bag and left.

“Some people said they saw him dropping the bag but nobody stopped or questioned him as he walked away,” he said.

The state Police Command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Haruna Mohammed confirmed five dead and 12 injured, adding that the deceased were burnt beyond recognition, while the injured victims were rushed to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Azare for medical attention.

The PPRO further added that all the dead bodies have been evacuated to the mortuary.

Our Correspondent reports that the entire surrounding has been cordoned off and the scene secured by the Police Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit from the Command headquaters, Bauchi.

However, no arrest has so far been made but investigation had commenced to ascertain the cause of the incident, Mohammed said.

About MetroLens

Check Also

COVID-19: Nigeria Records Six New Cases Of British Variant

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed that six new cases of the …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.