The bomb attack at the Government Lodge in Sabon Gari, Zaria, Kaduna State on Tuesday has left 25 people dead and 32 others injured.
The Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, while expressing sadness at the mindless attack by Boko Haram terrorists and sympathizing with victims of the blast, had earlier put the death toll at 20 but from recent reports, the figure has risen.
Red Cross officials and security agencies have evacuated the dead bodies while the 32 injured persons were taking to the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria and other hospitals in the city for treatment.
“I am sad that a terrorist bomb attack just killed 20 people in Sabon Gari Zaria,” Mr El-Rufa’i said on his Twitter account.
“We call on our citizens to be vigilant and avoid crowded places like markets, mosques, churches and motor parks in the next few weeks,” he added.
Executed by a suspected suicide bomber, the attack targeted civil servants at the Government Lodge in Sabon Gari,
Zaria which has been the centre for the verification exercise for civil servants.
Mr El-Rufai promised that the government was working with the security agencies to end the wave of militant attacks in the country.
“We call on our citizens to be vigilant and avoid crowded places like markets, mosques, churches and motor parks in the next few weeks.
“We call on our people to report any suspicious persons and movements to law enforcement agents, traditional rulers and religious leaders.
“The Kaduna State government is working with Federal security agencies that are taking proactive measures to frustrate such terrorists,” El-Rufai said.
Governor Nasir El-Rufai has also visited the scene of the explosion.