The National Emergency Management Agency on Wednesday said 58 people were killed and 78 victims others injured after suicide bombers detonated explosives at the Internally Displaced Persons camp in Dikwa, Borno State.
Emergency workers said the incidents occurred when the IDPs queued up to collect their morning food ration in a camp that currently accommodates over 50, 000 people displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency.
The Zonal Coordinator of NEMA in the North East, Mohammed Kanar, said some of those killed had been buried while the injured were moved to unnamed medical facilities.
The Nigerian government has repeatedly claimed Boko Haram had been significantly degraded to such a level that it could no longer carry out coordinated attacks.
But the group has continued to wreak havoc, attacking communities in Borno and carrying out suicide bombings, killing and maiming scores each time.
On Wednesday evening, the Nigerian government circulated a statement condoling with families of victims of the Dikwa attack.
“On behalf of the federal government of Nigeria, Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, expresses his profound condolences to the families of the victims of yesterday’s suicide bombing of an IDP camp in Dikwa, Borno State, and also the entire people and government of the state,” a statement by the vice president’s office said.
“His prayers are that the Almighty God will comfort them and grant the injured persons quick recovery.
“The Vice President stated that it is indeed regrettable that the heartless terrorists chose to unleash their wickedness on people who were taking refuge from previous acts of destruction in their homes.
“He reassured the nation that the full weight of the federal government’s force will be deployed to hunt down the perpetrators of this evil act and also to confront terrorists continuously in the protection of life, liberty and property of all Nigerians: there will be no hiding place for terrorists.
“Prof. Osinbajo has given directives that formidable security in and around the IDP Camps in the country be beefed up and renewed measures put in place to guard against future occurrences.
“Finally, the Vice President called on the people of Borno State and all Nigerians that the commitment of the federal government to safety of lives and property continues to be of paramount concern to the Buhari administration.”[Premium Times]